Automatic Payments for Payment Schedules give you (and your clients) peace of mind knowing that your Invoices will be paid with each appropriate interval, automatically.
By turning on Automatic Payments in both your Account Setting and on your Invoices, your client will be presented with two options when paying their invoice:
1) to save the credit card data entered.
2) to charge the saved credit card data automatically.
By selecting both of these options, your client will be charged automatically when the next invoice comes due.
Enabling Automatic Payments
1. Turn On Automatic Payments For Your Brand
Automatic Payments will first need to be turned on within your Account Settings.
- Within Account Settings, navigate to Money Matters: Invoice Options.
- Ensure you are connected to Stripe or Square payment processors (Because Automatic Payments is an advanced payment feature, (it is not available with PayPal or Authorize.net)
- Click Edit Invoice Options.
- Next to Card Settings, select the checkbox next to “Customers can save card data.”
- Check the box to turn on Automatic Payments.
- Click Save.
TIP: Do not switch payment providers after turning this feature on. Your client's card data is stored within your payment processor. Switching processors will create a need for your clients to resubmit their information.
2. Enable Automatic Payments Inside your Invoices
Now that Automatic Payments are turned on, you will need to allow for Automatic Payments within an Invoice.
- Open your Invoice Template or create a new Invoice.
- From your Invoice options on the rightmost column, select:
a) Online Payments - this allows your clients to pay you online.
b) Recurring Invoice or Payment Schedule
c) Enable Automatic Payments - allow your clients to opt in to automatic payments.
- Save or template or Save and Send your Invoice.
Client Experience with Automatic Payment
1. What Your Client Sees
Now that you have successfully turned the setting on, let's take a look at what your clients will see!
Upon paying an Invoice, they need to opt in to two options:
a) Saving Card Data (Remember this card for future payments)
b) Automatic Payments (Charge me for the upcoming invoices automatically)
By selecting both options, the client's card data will be saved and that card will be charged automatically for all future payment installments on that Invoice.
Additionally, their card information will be saved for any future Invoices.
2. Confirmation Emails with Automatic Payments
Invoices with Automatic Payments have their own Confirmation Email setting. This setting is automatically enabled for you.
A Confirmation Email will be sent each time an invoice or payment is automatically paid. You can change the message of the Confirmation Email Template by accessing the template below.
Thank You for Your Payment
While we do not recommend it, you can turn off the Confirmation Email by accessing the setting through:
Account Settings > Email Settings > Confirmations
3. Reminder Emails with Automatic Payments
Automatically send a Reminder Email for upcoming auto-paid Invoices. Enable this setting through:
Account Settings --> Email Settings --> Reminders
New Email Tokens for Invoices
Two new Invoice Tokens are to use when sending your Invoices and Invoice Reminders:
- "Invoice next closest due date"
- "Invoice amount due on the next closest due date"